Big Sigh
Well, it's Friday, kids.
Usually this is a pretty happy day for me. Today isn't so bad, either, don't get me wrong. I'm just a bit blue, is all.
I work a lot, y'see. The economy around here is bad, and nobody will pay much money, so I have to work two jobs to make ends meet. Now, before you start playing "My Heart Pumps Purple Piss For You" on the world's tiniest violin with your fingertips, please let me qualify. I know the world's a hard place. I am dead certain that there are lots and lots of people who have it worse than me -- in fact, I know some of them. I promise I'm not trying to gratuitously yank your sympathy string. No, I'm just saying. It's a bitch that the greatest country in the world looks at being poor as an individual failing. Sure, sometimes it is. In fact, I know lots of people who are poor because they just plain aren't smart enough to get a good job. They couldn't keep one if you gave it to them. Life's just not fair that way sometimes.
But I HAVE a good job. In fact, I have two good jobs, or at least they're considered pretty good for around here. They require both knowledge and skill; they pay about $2 - $3 an hour more than is average for around here (but still around $5 an hour below the rest of the nation, natch!); when I say, "I work at (wherever)," people sit up and say, "Oh, that must be a good job!" So I can't blame my ability to get a job for the fact that I'm broke more often than the ten commandments.
No, I'm pretty sure that the reason I can't make enough money is that the local economy resides at the bottom of the toilet, metaphorically speaking. There just isn't enough money for everybody, and those who do have enough aren't about to share and thereby put themselves in the same boat with the have-not's. Sure, I think they could afford to pay me more at BOTH my jobs. But even if I got a raise of a few dollars an hour, I don't think it would make a difference for long. Why? Because things just cost too much, and there are just too many of us. I know that things will improve with time, too, but I just can't bear to tell you how unbearably sad it makes me to think that my economic situation will be improved by my children leaving home. It feels too much like the old fairy tales, where they force young children to leave home and "find their fortune."
So, here I sit, bumming because I can't afford to buy the things I need, let alone giving my children all of the things I know they deserve.
I miss my old blog, too.
Usually this is a pretty happy day for me. Today isn't so bad, either, don't get me wrong. I'm just a bit blue, is all.
I work a lot, y'see. The economy around here is bad, and nobody will pay much money, so I have to work two jobs to make ends meet. Now, before you start playing "My Heart Pumps Purple Piss For You" on the world's tiniest violin with your fingertips, please let me qualify. I know the world's a hard place. I am dead certain that there are lots and lots of people who have it worse than me -- in fact, I know some of them. I promise I'm not trying to gratuitously yank your sympathy string. No, I'm just saying. It's a bitch that the greatest country in the world looks at being poor as an individual failing. Sure, sometimes it is. In fact, I know lots of people who are poor because they just plain aren't smart enough to get a good job. They couldn't keep one if you gave it to them. Life's just not fair that way sometimes.
But I HAVE a good job. In fact, I have two good jobs, or at least they're considered pretty good for around here. They require both knowledge and skill; they pay about $2 - $3 an hour more than is average for around here (but still around $5 an hour below the rest of the nation, natch!); when I say, "I work at (wherever)," people sit up and say, "Oh, that must be a good job!" So I can't blame my ability to get a job for the fact that I'm broke more often than the ten commandments.
No, I'm pretty sure that the reason I can't make enough money is that the local economy resides at the bottom of the toilet, metaphorically speaking. There just isn't enough money for everybody, and those who do have enough aren't about to share and thereby put themselves in the same boat with the have-not's. Sure, I think they could afford to pay me more at BOTH my jobs. But even if I got a raise of a few dollars an hour, I don't think it would make a difference for long. Why? Because things just cost too much, and there are just too many of us. I know that things will improve with time, too, but I just can't bear to tell you how unbearably sad it makes me to think that my economic situation will be improved by my children leaving home. It feels too much like the old fairy tales, where they force young children to leave home and "find their fortune."
So, here I sit, bumming because I can't afford to buy the things I need, let alone giving my children all of the things I know they deserve.
I miss my old blog, too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home